We are located in Arthur Andersen Hall on Northwestern's Evanston campus. The campus is located right on the shores of Lake Michigan, twelve miles north of downtown Chicago. Evanston is the first suburb north of the City of Chicago.
Consult these maps of: our general location (zoom in for more detail), the Evanston campus in web format and in printable format. Andersen Hall is located halfway down the map, on the right-hand side of Sheridan Road.
Once you are on Northwestern campus: Andersen Hall is the large concrete building on the east side of the junction of Sheridan Road and Foster Street. The building is part of a larger complex referred to as the "Donald P. Jacobs Center." Enter the building and take the elevator to the third floor. The Department's main office is located directly opposite the elevators in room 302.
If you are driving, visitor parking is only available some distance away in two multi-level garages One is at the north end of campus accessible from Lincoln Street, and the other at the south end of campus at the entrance to Campus Drive. You will need a daily parking permit. Ask for one in our main office. Limited free parking for two hours is available on neighboring streets, and the City of Evanston has a public multi-story self-parking lot three blocks south of Andersen Hall at the junction of Chicago Avenue and Clark Street.
- By Car. Take the airport access road (Interstate 190) towards Chicago. Soon after leaving the airport take Interstate 294 northbound. Look for signs to "Milwaukee." There is a $1.90 toll. After four miles, exit eastbound on Dempster Street (US 14 - state route 58). Continue on Dempster Street for ten miles to Evanston. Soon after passing under two railroad bridges take a left at the next set of traffic signals. Proceed north on Chicago Avenue for one mile to the University. Travel time is about 40 minutes.
- By Taxi. Cabs are available at meter rates (about $35+). A better suggestion is to call American Taxi at (847) 255-9600. Cabs are usually waiting and will pick you up in the limousine lane. A flat fare of $31 (plus $2 for each additional person) is charged.
- By Airport Van. Go Airport Express operates van services to Evanston. Enquire at their desks in the baggage claim areas. As the one-way fare is $40+, it is usually more convenient to take a taxi.
- By Public Transit. Pace suburban bus service route 250 runs from the final station on the airport transit system to downtown Evanston (Davis Street Elevated Train Station). Fare is $1.75.
- By Car. Take Cicero Avenue north to the Stevenson Expressway (Interstate 55). Take I55 towards downtown Chicago. I55 joins Interstate 90/94 just southwest of Chicago loop. Head northbound. Look for signs to "Wisconsin" and "Kennedy Expressway." After twelve miles take Interstate 94. Watch for signs to "Milwaukee" and "Edens Expressway." After six miles, exit eastbound on Dempster Street (route 58). Continue on Dempster Street for four miles to Evanston. Soon after passing under two railroad bridges, take a left at the next set of traffic signals. Proceed north on Chicago Avenue for one mile to the University. Travel time is about 75 minutes.
- By Taxi. Cabs at meter rates from Midway Airport are very expensive, and the trip can be very congested at peak periods. Flat rate fares of $51 are available by calling American Taxi at (847) 255-9600.
- By Public Transit. Take a Chicago Transit Authority Orange Line train to Clark/Lake Station on the Loop elevated. Cross to the other platform and take a northbound Brown Line train for five stations to Fullerton. From the other side of the same platform take a northbound Red Line train to Howard Street. Then take a northbound Purple Line train five stations to Foster. The Department is two blocks east of Foster station. The fare is $2.25.
- By Car. Take Lake Shore Drive (US 41) northbound. Join Sheridan Road and follow northwards to Evanston and the University. Travel time is about 40 minutes.
- By Commuter Train. Metra Commuter Rail provides hourly service from the Ogilvie Train Station in the west Loop. Take the Union Pacific North train to Davis Street, Evanston. Travel time is 25 minutes and the cost is $5.25. Exit the station towards the front of the train onto Church Street. The Department is located four blocks north and three blocks east of the station.
- By Rapid Transit in Peak Hours. Take a Chicago Transit Authority Purple Line Express train from any station on the Loop elevated. Alight at Foster station. The Department is two blocks east of Foster station. The fare is $2.25.
- By Rapid Transit in Off-Peak Hours. Take a northbound Chicago Transit Authority Red Line train from the State Street subway to Howard Street. Then take a northbound Purple Line train five stations to Foster. The Department is two blocks east of Foster station. The fare is $2.25.