Directions to the DepartmentWe are located in the Kellogg Global Hub on Northwestern's Evanston campus. The campus is located on the shores of Lake Michigan, 12 miles north of downtown Chicago. Evanston is the first suburb north of Chicago.
Jump to detailed directions:
The main entrance is on the west side of the building. Enter the building, cross the atrium and take the elevators on the right to the third floor. The department's main office is located directly opposite the elevators in room 3317.
- By Car. Take the airport access road (Interstate 190) towards Chicago. Soon after leaving the airport take Interstate 294 northbound. Look for signs to "Milwaukee." There is a $1.90 toll. After four miles, exit eastbound on Dempster Street (US 14 - state route 58). Continue on Dempster Street for ten miles to Evanston. Soon after passing under two railroad bridges take a left at the next set of traffic signals. Proceed north on Chicago Avenue for 1.5 miles to Lincoln Street at the north end of campus. Travel time is about 45 minutes.
- By Taxi. Cabs are available at meter rates (about $35+). A better suggestion is to call American Taxi at (847) 255-9600. Cabs are usually waiting and will pick you up in the limousine lane. A flat fare of $31 (plus $2 for each additional person) is charged.
- By Airport Van. Go Airport Express operates van services to Evanston. Enquire at their desks in the baggage claim areas. As the one-way fare is $40+, it is usually more convenient to take a taxi.
- By Public Transit. Pace suburban bus service route 250 runs from the final station on the airport transit system to downtown Evanston (Davis Street Elevated Train Station, which is about one mile and 25 minute walk from the department). Taxis are also available on the west side of the Davis Street transit station.
- By Car. Take Cicero Avenue north to the Stevenson Expressway (Interstate 55). Take I55 towards downtown Chicago. I55 joins Interstate 90/94 just southwest of Chicago loop. Head northbound. Look for signs to "Wisconsin" and "Kennedy Expressway." After twelve miles take Interstate 94. Watch for signs to "Milwaukee" and "Edens Expressway." After six miles, exit eastbound on Dempster Street (route 58). Continue on Dempster Street for four miles to Evanston. Soon after passing under two railroad bridges, take a left at the next set of traffic signals. Proceed north on Chicago Avenue for 1.5 miles to Lincoln Street at the north end of campus. Travel time is about 80 minutes.
- By Taxi. Cabs at meter rates from Midway Airport are very expensive, and the trip can be very congested at peak periods. Flat rate fares of $51 are available by calling American Taxi at (847) 255-9600.
- By Public Transit. Take a Chicago Transit Authority Orange Line train to Clark/Lake Station on the Loop elevated. Cross to the other platform and take a northbound Brown Line train for five stations to Fullerton. From the other side of the same platform take a northbound Red Line train to Howard Street. Then take a northbound Purple Line train five stations to Noyes. The Department is 0.75 miles or 15 minutes walk east of Noyes station.
- By Car. Take Lake Shore Drive (US 41) northbound. Join Sheridan Road and follow northwards to Evanston and the university. Travel time is about 45 minutes.
- By Commuter Train. Metra Commuter Rail provides hourly service from the Ogilvie Train Station in the west Loop. Take the Union Pacific North train to Davis Street, Evanston. Travel time is 25 minutes and the cost is $5.50. Exit the station towards the front of the train onto Church Street. The department is located a 25 minute walk northeast. Taxis are also available if you take the stairs down in the middle of the platform and turn left in the pedestrian underpass.
- By Rapid Transit in Peak Hours. Take a Chicago Transit Authority Purple Line Express train from any station on the Loop elevated. Exit at Noyes. The department is 0.75 miles or 15 minutes walk east of Noyes station.
- By Rapid Transit in Off-Peak Hours. Take a northbound Chicago Transit Authority Red Line train from the State Street subway to Howard Street. Then take a northbound Purple Line train five stations to Noyes. The department is 0.75 miles or 15 minutes walk east of Noyes station.